Entertainment Card: 25% off the total bill (up to $30 value)
Borsalino Ristorante is a classy Italian restaurant located in Nedlands. You can’t tell much from the outside but once inside, you know that this restaurant is different. They spent on their decor, with jarrah floors and everything wooden, you almost feel like you are in an ‘olden day’ cottage. As soon as you arrive, you are greeted by a Host (I reckoned he owns the place!) who was very proper and explained everything to us in detail (he reminded me of a butler for some reason). You do not get a food menu as he preferred to explain everything in person - as a more personal touch to his service.
Side note: In my mind, I was thinking, Great..how am I supposed to write a blog when I don’t know what the dishes are called? I had to listen very hard and tried to remember all the details!
Borsalino is a fully licensed restaurant with a wine cellar on display which was very impressive (as shown in the picture). We ordered a Shiraz and a Sauvignon Blanc Semillon as recommended by the Host which in his word..”will complement the food nicely”. The only thing to remember is that the “water” did not come free. The service staff just kept on pouring the San Pellegrino throughout the night which we ended up paying $32 for ($8/bottle)!
Coming to the food, Borsalino serves either a la carte or a special Gourmet Dinner which we had to order as they were only cooking the set menu that night, being New Year’s Eve and all. It was an excellent choice though - the Gourmet Dinner consisted of 3 entrees, 1 main and 1 dessert which means you get to try a bit of everything. The menu consisted of the following (I cheated and copied the below from their website – tell me honestly, who can remember the whole lot?? The picture descriptions are what I actually remembered):
ENTREE (pictures from left to right):
- Premium ‘AquaTas” Smoked Salmon on a bed of Mesculin Salad accompanied by a fan of Avocado drizzled with tangy Rocket dressing
- Freshly blanched local crispy Green Asparagus Spears lightly grilled Au Gratin until golden brown
- Soft and Light Bocconcini Spinach and Ricotta soufflings baked slowly in the oven until golden served with a creamy Mascarpone cheese sauce (SIGNATURE DISH)
- Special Borsalino bread with Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar (unlimited refill)
Comments: The boccocini was awesome, I never like cheese much but I must say that this is my favourite for the night. No wonder they call it their signature dish. The boccocini was soft and creamy and very light in taste so you can eat a few without feeling too cheesy. The bread was also delicious (soft and crunchy at the same time with a salty taste to it). The Host told us that they do refill the bread basket but warned us that as they were so delicious, some people had filled themselves up with too much bread and was not able to eat the mains. I knew what he meant though coz I filled myself up as they tasted so good!..but still managed to eat my main *phew*.
MAIN (choice of either):
- Juicy Pink Snapper grilled with smoked paprika and white wine, served with roast potato, pumpkin and broccoliv OR
- Tender, juicy Beef Fillet, char grilled to perfection finished in a wild porcini mushroom sauce, served with roast potato, pumpkin and broccoli
Comments: I chose the Snapper for main. The mains were quite ordinary (in terms of comparison with other restaurants) – was a good meal nonetheless.
- Italian Mousse drizzled with passionfruit and cranberry sauce with a sprig of mint (I had to make this up myself as the Host disappeared on us and did not explain the dessert properly)
Comments: The dessert was surprisingly good. I like it as it is very light in taste and the sauces was sweet (cranberry) and sourish (passionfruit) which complimented the mousse. Dessert was a + for me.
Overall, this is a great place to go to for a nice dinner or for some occassion. It is a bit on the pricey side as can be expected for Fine Dining but in return, you get good wine, great food and excellent service. A great place to try.
Another note: We were not able to use the Entertainment Card as it was a special occasion that night. Keep that in mind.
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Rating by: N.L.
Telephone: (08) 9389 8141
Address: 35 Hampden Road, Nedlands