Lotus Garden Chinese Restaurant is located inside the Padbury Shopping Centre, quite a distance north of the river. Padbury…where you may ask?! That was my initial reaction when I found out we were having dinner there. The only association I have with Padbury is the zone substation located there – one of the bad habits of working in the power engineering industry is the association of suburbs with what electrical equipments are located there rather than the attractions in the area! Not good I know.
Anyways, the choice to dine at this restaurant was not quite as random as that, we did not drive all the way up north to have dinner there (if we did, it would have been one fine restaurant!), but rather we were already in the northern suburbs and my friend’s dad (Uncle H) organised a table for us there. Uncle H is a great cook so I thought this restaurant must be up to scratch for him to suggest it.
The restaurant itself is quite old and dimly lit – I would have preferred a much brighter restaurant, however you can’t ask for much in a suburban restaurant. Tables were covered with patterned plastic covers themed with black chairs, I would classify this as a small and cosy restaurant.
We had a very simple meal with dishes already organised by Uncle H so I didn’t manage to catch the menu. They consist of the following:
- Szechuan King Prawns – the prawns were medium in size with lots of cashew nuts. An appetising dish that went well with the steamed rice. Would have been better served on a sizzling plate.
- Peking Pork Spare Ribs – pork pieces were crunchy although they were small in size. Might not be good for meat lovers. Sauce was just right and not overpowering.
- Fillet Steak with Black Pepper – tender and chunky steak pieces that tasted well with each bite. Love the addition of snow peas in the dish.
- Mixed Vegetables with Oyster Sauce – average but I like that they added tofu into the dish.
- Sizzling Chicken with Mushroom – big chunks of mushroom pieces (almost bigger than the chicken pieces). Yum!
Overall I thought the food here were on the average side but pretty good for a suburban restaurant. We didn’t get much service which I did not expect anyways in this environment – just as long as there is only a short wait for food (which was so in this instance so no complaints here) and we have all the utensils required for a meal.
I probably would not return again as the restaurant is too far away from where I live but it was good that I managed to try a chinese restaurant up north. A place to keep in mind if you are ever around the area.
Rating: 2.75 out of 5 stars
Rating by: N.L.
Lotus Garden Padbury Chinese Restaurant
Telephone: 08 9401 5999
Address: Shop 2, Padbury Shopping Centre, 2 Warburton Avenue, Padbury