Bistro Guillaume is one of the recent addition to the Crown Casino Complex. As expected, there was a big hype with its opening. I jumped on the bandwagon and decided to lunch there for a birthday celebration.
Bistro Guillaume is situated where Alure used to be. The entrance to the restaurant is quite impressive as well as the decor with its lime green highlights throughout. They must have spent a fortune with the renovation and interior decorations!
For drinks we had a Lemon Lime Bitters and a Caribbean Champagne ($18). The Caribbean Champagne is a mixture of white rum, creme de bananes & sparkling wine decorated with a slice of banana. What an odd decoration – the banana’s skin had black spots on it! Hardly something you would use I would have thought!
- Complimentary bread and butter – the butter and salt were amazing, wish they gave a bigger piece of bread though.
- Blue swimmer crab salad with avocado, cucumber & capsicum coulis ($30) – didn’t get to try this but it looked pretty doesn’t it! + for presentation.
- Escargot en persillade ($25) – this was my order. En persillade is a seasoning mixture of parsley chopped with garlic, herb, oil & vinegar. It came out looking very pretty but I thought the dish tasted quite bland. The two others who ordered this thought the same. They had tasted better elsewhere.
For mains, I had the Rangers Valley sirloin (300 day grain fed) with crispy kipfler potatoes, watercress salad with bearnaise sauce ($42). Hmm, it tasted very ordinary to me. Nothing much to be excited about. I came to the conclusion that maybe French food is not my thing?
The rest had the following (only managed to try a mouthful of each dish so can’t give much comments, enjoy the pics!):
- Berkshire pork belly with salad of lentils, green apples & tarragon vinaigrette ($37)
- Venison tenderloin with beetroot, parsnip & horseradish ($40)
- Veal sweetbreads with a fricassee of mushroom & truffle ($32) – I only had a mouthful of this but I could taste the delicious mushroom flavor in the sauce. The sweetbread was tender and melted in your mouth. I wish I had ordered this instead of my steak!
I ran out of time as I was in a rush to pick up a friend from the airport so I didn’t get to try their desserts :( Hope I didn’t miss out on much!
Overall, I found the dishes I ordered were all misses! Sad to say. The service was ordinary as well.
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
Rating by: N.L.