Must Winebar is a well established winebar located on Beaufort Street in Highgate. I’d been there a couple of times for drinks and dinner and really like it there. This time round I wanted to try the dishes they have prepared for the Pinot & Black Truffle Week. Unfortunately the tickets were all sold for the event! :( We settled dining at the bistro and ordering from the a la carte menu which contained some of the dishes from the Truffle event.
We were served the usual complimentary Crusty Bread on arrival. Yum!
We were excited with the Pinot & Black Truffle selected menu for the bistro and ordered most of our dishes from the special menu except for the escargots and the 18 hour slow cooked beef rib which were too attractive to pass! hehe
For entrees, we had:
- Escargots baked in shell, topped with garlic, parsley & pernod butter ($20) – these were much better than the ones I had at Bistro Guillaume. The dish came as six escargots with a very fragrant and tasty topping. Texture was slightly chewy. Cute picks!
- Duck liver & Manjimup black truffle parfait with chardonnay jelly and toasted brioche ($24) – the duck liver and truffle parfait was beautiful! Light, soft, smooth and melted in your mouth, we slabbed it on thickly onto the fluffy brioche. Delicious!
For mains, we had:
- 18 hour slow cooked butterfield beef short rib with truffle oil mash potato and mushroom ragout ($45) – this did not come from the Truffle menu but we passed it as it had truffle oil in the mash potato :P. I am currently on a detox program and am forbidden to eat any meat so I did not get to try the dish. My friend said it was good! It looked great to me!
- Seared butterfield beef fillet, truffle paris mash, sauteed swiss brown mushrooms, truffle jus ($50) – another great looking dish I couldn’t try! Check out the slices of truffles on the mash!
- Roasted pink snapper fillet, fennel & blue manna crab salad with truffle beurre blanc ($50) – this was my dish, and it was one of the most delicious mains I had. The snapper melted in the mouth and the crab salad sitting on top was a perfect combination! Generous amount of truffles flaked the dish which gave off a nice aroma. It tasted exquisite. I would order this dish every single time I am there if it is still available after the truffle week!
We were quite full by the end of the mains but did not want to miss out on the special dessert – the Black Truffle creme brulee with dark chocolate sorbet and almond tuile ($20). It was quite an expensive dessert but we thought it was worth a try…and it did not disappoint. Another dessert I would put in “one of the best I had ever eaten”! The Creme Brulee looked slightly scary in appearance, moldy like and not too appealing. The taste however dispelled all fears as it was awesome! The truffle pieces added to the creamy brulee and gave it an earthy and strong taste. I love it!!! We were totally surprised and blown away. I saw my friend’s eyes lit up when she had her first bite. It was hilarious! Very much worth a try!!
The Truffle Menu was well worth going for a taste! Was still slightly disappointed that we couldn’t get the tickets for the Truffle event itself (I’m sure there would be so many more specialties!) but we were very satisfied with what we ordered. I would love to be back for the next event! Absolutely delicious! The service was great – the staff was attentive throughout the night and very polite! ++
There’s still time if you want to try it tomorrow! Last day of the selected Truffle Menu on offer at the bistro! :)
PS: The photos below are of a dinner I had earlier this year with their normal menu. They were great too! Can’t go wrong with this place so far!
- Crispy fried oyster with chick pea batter, lime avocado & tomato salsa ($21 for half a dozen) – I could eat more, there were very good!
- Angel hair pasta tossed with blue manna crab, tomato, chilli, basil cream ($24 – entree size) – delicious!
- Pan fried potato gnocchi, juniper braised rabbit with green olive tapenade ($24 – entree size)
- “Must” pork sausages, confit fennel, sweet potato puree, herb salad, jus ($39)