I’d been wanting to go to Clarke’s of North Beach for my birthday the last couple of years but had never been able to get a weekend booking in time. This year I decided to organise a dinner there for a uni friend’s birthday. We got a table easily as it was a week night. Yes!
The restaurant interior looked lovely and provided us with the warmth as soon as we entered (Perth has really chilly nights!). One cannot fail to notice all the awards hanging on the wall. Chef and owner Stephen Clarke is the winner of multiple awards in the industry including being named the ‘Good Food Guide’ Chef of the Year 2012 for Perth. I was really looking forward to the dinner!
AChampagne to start with – I was the only one drinking that night!
We went with the Degustation Menu – 6 courses for $100pp. We also ordered an extra dish each for an additional $20.
- Amuse Boche – warm soup with a mini glass straw – very cute!
- Linley Valley pork belly, apple textures, crackle dust - this dish was amazing!! I love the “melt in the mouth” pork belly – more please! My favorite dish of the night!
- Confit Huon salmon, seared Esperance scallop, celery sorbet, fennel & yuzu – the scallop in this dish was a winner. It was also my first tasting of a celery sorbet, refreshing and very unique!
- Honey roasted duck breast, confit leg, foie gras espuma – this was an additional dish ordered which I didn’t try but it looked great and was beautifully presented.
- Queensland spanner crab, brioche, coconut, lime bonito salt (additional dish) – this was art on a plate and my 2nd favorite dish with the crunchy on the outside but fluffy on the inside brioche and the Asian fusion flavor of the crab meat.
- Prime fillet steak, braised beef cheek, onion puree & buttered carrots - it was a nice piece of steak, juicy and tender. Love the sides of buttered vegetables.
- Chocolate & caramel with popping candy – delicious first part of dessert, the highlight being the popping candy. A party in the mouth!
- Lemon meringue with steamed lemon and vanilla pudding - the last course to finish off the night, and another art on a plate. Yummy pudding!
Couldn’t finish the night without a cup of coffee – my Cappuccino :)
Service at Clarke’s was excellent too, attentive but not too overbearing. Dinner here was as excellent as I expected. I will definitely be back again!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars